Discuss

What do you think of the “fuller-figured” mannequins? Are you offended by the fact that some are saying they “condone obesity”? Feel free to comment below!

Tell me your story

I would love to hear and publish your personal stories on this website. Perhaps you want to let the world know what it’s like to stand in a dressing room and feel like nothing fits nicely. What you think when you look at yourself in the mirror. Or maybe you have a sunshine story? You love your body and you’re not affected by mannequins and models? Tell me! If you email me your story – and a picture if you want – I might publish it here as a featured article. Perhaps you have a blog or website of your own on this subject? E-mail “My Story”

Your Stories

Stories from you guys! Keep them coming :)

I’ve been fascinated by the story of the Swedish mannequins since I first saw the photo several days ago. Tonight after reading the back story and checking out
swedishmannequins.com, I called my 7 year-old over to the computer…

“What are these?” I asked, showing her the Swedish mannequins.
“Fake people.” she said.
“Right. They’re called mannequins.” I said, and then showed her “normal” mannequins next to the Swedish ones.
“What’s the difference between these mannequins and those mannequins?” I asked.
“Those fake people look like real people. Those other ones just look like fake people.”

colin-carmichael

Photo by Colin Carmichael

Thank you for the opportunity to have this moment with my daughter.

Sincerely,
Colin

P.S. My son is 3 and little young to have a similar moment with, but judging from this photo I took of him in a shopping mall last year, I have an uphill battle ahead of me.

Colin Carmichael
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

I love this. I am down 30 lbs. trying to get in shape and healthy. But I will always be curvy, especially up top. That shows a REAL body image. And a healthy looking one. I would be very happy to have that mannequin body image. I would be very very happy. Not the size impossible that are in the stores here in U.S. now. Thank you for giving us hope.

Sheila

All my life I have tried to look like the common mannequin, and I would measure using tape measure my thighs with theirs and their arms with mine. Unfortunately I never achieved their size, but I realized why jeopardize my entire life trying to look like them when they are nothing but a ‘”model” not drawn to a human scale’. Now with these more realistic mannequins I don’t have to worry about trying to make my clothes fit on me like it fits on the skinny mannequins.

Floppy Canti

The average size for women is a 14. I struggle with my weight and I am a 10-12 and my doctor tells me to stop worrying over it at my age it’s a normal weight. I am happy for the people that can spend all there time dieting and exercising to be the perfect size in there eyes but I can’t. I eat healthy & this is the body that god gave me we should be proud of our curves.

Diane

YES!! You have no idea how many times me and my friends would roam a store and look at all of the skinny mannequins and wonder when this would happen. I am so happily astonished by how many people love this because I know many people who have gotten bullied for being not as slim as other girls and I feel this is a great influence on other girls. It makes them feel that they don’t have to look exactly like the people on the Victoria Secret commercials or other mannequins in stores.

I can’t wait to share this with others because I think this can be a big step in self esteem for all women. Trust me we need this in the U.S.A.!!! I truly hope the word gets out and people start to realize what should be happening in stores. Thanks for posting this website, when I found out about this it made my day :)

Daphne

I think mannequins should definitely be like this: Like the normal average woman! I myself remember being a teenager and seeing mannequins while I was shopping and always think how skinny they are. I don’t like young girls skipping dinner or throwing away their lunch and starving themselves because they want to look like that. They should eat healthy, maybe do sport to stay fit but not STARVE.

Anna Lena

Thank you so much for creating this website. I am fortunate to have a husband who loves curves and appreciates the way I look, but many women are put down for their size and are pushed to achieve ridiculously dangerous weight losses. There is no doubt we should be healthy. I work out regularly and make sure I get proper nutrition, but I am not a size 6. I look very much like a “plus-size” mannequin and I am happy with it. As long as I am healthy, why should I be stick-thin?

Rebecca Stevenson

25 thoughts on “Discuss

1. Sara

I’m quite concerned by the fact that you write “unhealthy-looking” when commenting on the thinner mannequins. Do we want beauty to be achievable for everyone or just one group at a time?

2. SwedishMannequins.com Post author

No, I agree – generally you shouldn’t say “unhealthy-looking” (unless they really do look anorexic and the rib cage is sticking out). People that are skinny shouldn’t feel bad about themselves either! Most mannequins on display are very thin though, and that is the problem. I think we should aim for a wider range of sizes, because people come in all shapes and sizes and so should mannequins.

3. Betsey

Thank you, thank you. There are other large women out there like me. Now, can we make some changes on tv so that every woman is not stunningly beautiful, thin, and 23?

4. Diane

I just watched a storie about this. I think the mannequins are great! I got very upset when they called them plus size! Since when is an 8 or 12 a PLUS SIZE. The average mother will not have that size 2 or 4 body again.
    The average size for women is a 14. I struggle with my weight and I am a 10-12 and my doctor tells me to stop worrying over it at my age it’s a normal weight. I am happy for the people that can spend all there time dieting and exersizing to be the perfect size in there eyes but I can’t. I eat healthy & this is the body that god gave me we should be proud of our curves.

5. Stacy

The mannequin is still 5’10″. Most women are closer to 5’4″ in height. I am petite and even shorter than 5’4″ and there aren’t any mannequins that look like me. It’s great that there are a wider range of weights represented but what about heights?

6. Pau

I think different sized Mannequins are a great idea, not only will they be more inclusive, but the stores will be able to give us average sized women how to wear their clothes (something that is hard for us to visualize when looking at the skinny mannequins).

~Pau

7. Matt

I love the whole idea and the mannequin being plus size, send to U S immediately!!!

8. Tammi Hill

AWESOME! The average women is not a size 4, more like a 14. Now if the stores in America could figure this out. GREAT JOB!

9. Daphne

YES!! You have no idea how many times me and my friends would roam a store and look at all of the skinny mannequins and wonder when this would happen. I am so happily astonsihed by how many people love this because i know many people who have gotten bullied for being not as slim as other girls and i feel this is a great influence on other girls. It makes them feel that they don’t have to look exactly like the people on the victoria secret commercials or other mannequins in stores. I can’t wait to share this with others becuase i think this can be a big step in self esteem for all women. Trust me we need this in the U.S.A.!!! I truely hope the word gets out and people start to realize what should be happening in stores. Thanks for postiong this website, when i found out about this it made my day:)

10. Roger K

Well first I want to say I am a man and me myself totally agree with using larger mannequins. I do however believe there should be a variety of sized mannequins used for display. Using the ones they use now for the 4 – 6 sizes clothing section, the new ones for the 8 – 12 sized section and then making some for the Plus sized section like 14 – 18. I don’t think a 12 should be considered a Plus, after all my x was a 12 and I thought she was what I would call perfect, definitely not a Plus.
    Thanks for allowing me to vent…!!!

11. stacey

I hope this is the beginning of making the world aware that women come in all sizes. I am one of the founders of Lola Getts Active( http://www.lolagetts.com), active wear made exclusively for the curvy gal 14-24. After seeing the segment on the Today Show I hope this will encourage US retailers the buying power of the plus size woman. She deserves to have choices of fabulous fashion and to see them on mannequins that look like her.

Thank you for bring this to everyone’s attention….

12. Walter

I work with mannequins – male and female – on the West Coast of the United States. I agree that the proportions for most male and female mannequins are unrealistic and exaggerated (the men are much taller and beefier than most REAL guys, and the women are much slimmer than most REAL gals) but don’t agree that the larger of the two plus size females in the pictures is healthy, or anything to aspire to. It might be more realistic, but I don’t think it’ll sell a lot of clothing. Americans have quite an obesity problem, and I’m not saying unrealistically tiny mannequins help the situation, but don’t believe we need to cater to every size out there. That’s what going in the dressing room and trying things on is all about, right?

1. Diane

Walter
      I agree that we should not have mannequins that promote obesity but these mannequins are the average size for a woman. If they were in a teens department they would be to large. But women who have children
      usually do not go back to the girlish figure. These mannequins show healthy women and there are even women who are larger and healthy. Now if they had large folds of skin and fat hanging all over that would be obesity, yes we have an obesity problem in the US but we also have a problem with anorexia,There have been poles that show that children (girls) will go on there first diet as early as 5 and 6 years old.

13. Pingback: Finally 4 days off! | Swedish Mannequins

14. Pingback: Male mannequins | Swedish Mannequins

15. Anna

It has always annoyed me that on the usual mannequins, you can never see how clothing actually looks. It’s all pinned and tied to fit those unrealistic shapes.
    So it’s good to see that at least in one country in the world, at least one store has realised that women don’t care to be constantly made to believe they are too fat, too big, too whatever – when in fact they are attractive and healthy looking! We definitely need more of this!

16. Ariel

I completely agree with these mannequins! I think that these mannequins are making women and girls all over the world feel better about their shape and knowing that not just skinny girls is the norm – not saying that skinny is bad though, just saying that it’s only one size and not showcasing every other beautiful size out there. I know that these mannequins are definitely making me feel better about my shape.
    I really hope that these mannequins come to Canada some time! That would be wonderful. They are an inspiration and a sign to everyone – we are all beautiful. These mannequins are showing that every-sized woman or girl can look beautiful in any clothing, because we are all beautiful in our own ways.

17. Chantal houle

I love this idea and its great and all but my problem is, im 5 foot and 100 pounds im a small girl but my body shape looks closer to these women then the not plus size mannequins, i dont think its so much the size of our body’s that’s warped but the shape we think our bodies are suppose to be is whats warped cause sure im petit but im still curvy, and not stick thin like the regular mannequins im thin but im still curvy and real. When i first seen the mannequins i didnt even think they where plus size i just thought they were real size, so im a little disappointed but its still a great start

i think they should make petit curvy realistic mannequins, and even mannequins for men who dont have rock hard abs and a six pack cause men are feeling self conscious about there body too these days its not just us women we need realistic mannequins for all shapes and heights sizes from 5 foot nothing petit, to 6’5 tall and large to change the view on body image in this world :)

18. Karen

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am Karen, sales executive from Shenzhen Huaqi Hangers & Mannequins Co.,Ltd.

We have 2015 newest catalogue for female, male, child mannequins, are you interested in? If you’re like to pls ask me send catalogue for you.

Thanks for your time.

Best regards
    Karen

Shenzhen Huaqi Hangers & Mannequins Co.,Ltd
    Rm.,2404, 24/F, Block B, JiaLinHaoTing Building, No.2001 Shennan Mid Rd., Futian District, Shenzhen, China
    Tel: +86-755 8370 3530 / 8202 1431
    Phone: +86 18098919870
    Fax: +86-755 8370 8600
    ICQ: 679142387
    Skype: Karen.qiu.carmig
    Wechat: Karenqiu1987

19. Deanna

It’s difficult to find educated people on this topic,
    but you seem like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks

My blog weight training shoes (Deanna)